Tournament Prize Structure:
Heaviest aggregate of four fish weight from the eligible four species:
King Fish, Dolphin, Wahoo, and Tuna (Prize amount are based on 40 boats)
First Place: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $2,500.00
Second Place: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $1,000.00
Third Place: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $500.00
Junior Angler: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $500.00
Lady Angler: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $500.00
Big Fish Calcutta: . . . 85% Payout; Entry: $100.00
Payout is for the single heaviest fish of all eligible species (KDWT)
King's Ransom: . . . . 85% Payout; Entry: $500.00
Heaviest aggregate of KDWT (four largest fish)
100% of proceeds after prize payouts benefit the John Michael Baker Foundation.
JMB Fishing Tournament Rules 2018
- Method 1- It is highly encouraged for teams to register at jmbfishingtournament.com. Teams may pre-register for the tournament online or mail. Registrations sent by mail should be sent to: John Michael Baker Scholarship Fund, P.O. Box 460764 Fort Lauderdale, FL 33346-0764. Payment may be made by check or PayPal (see website for instructions). Make check payable to John Michael Baker Fishing Tournament. Please note team name and phone number on check. Payment by check will not be accepted after May 18th, 2017.
- Method 2 - Anglers can also register for the tournament on tba from 7pm, during the Tournament Captains Meeting located at The Downtowner Saloon - 10 S New River Dr E, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
All sales are final and entry fees will not be refunded.
- Entry Forms: Registration must be completed by the captain or owner with appropriate fees and registration information. Management at the John Michael Baker Fishing Tournament reserve the right to refuse application or entry into the tournament at their discretion with or without cause.
- Anglers: Each boat may register as many anglers as they choose. The first two anglers are included with each registration. Any additional anglers will be assessed a $50 fee per angler. Participating anglers should be provided to tournament staff in advance of fishing. Please notify the committee of any angler changes prior to the start of fishing. Boats fishing without the proper registered anglers on board will be automatically disqualified.
- Eligible Species: Kingfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Tuna
- Fish Limit: A maximum of 10 fish may be weighed in per boat. Each boat may enter a total of 4 fish in any combination of the eligible species. Each fish must weigh a minimum of 10 pounds. Fish that do not meet these requirements will not count. All boats must adhere to state of Florida and federal recreational bag limits as they pertain to all eligible species. Boats possessing commercial licenses may not utilize them during tournament competition.
- Tackle: All fish must be caught on rod and reel. Wire lines are permitted. No electric reels (except kite rods & downriggers). Treble hooks are permitted. Harpoons may not be used for any purpose in the tournament.
- Bait & Bait Fishing: Fishing with live bait is permitted in the tournament; however, live chumming is not permitted. Live baits may not be removed from a hook or baitwell thrown against any object or surface on the boat and then placed in the water. If a bait is not attached to a hook connected by line to a fishing rod, it must be completely dead before it is placed in the water. Live bait teasers are not allowed. All teams in the tournaments are prohibited from having any boats outside the tournament to live chum on their behalf. Frozen chum and cut bait are permitted. Registered boats may catch their own bait at any time before or during the tournament.
- Hook & Catch: All male, female and junior anglers must hook, fight, and catch their own fish. Once a fish is hooked, that angler must fight the fish until it is properly released, boated or lost. Anglers may not pass rods to teammates once a fish has been hooked. A fish is considered to be hooked once a strike occurs and the drag is engaged or the bail is closed. The use of a rod holder to hook a fish is allowable provided the individual that engages the drag is the same person that fights the fish until release, catch or loss.
- Tournament Channel: The tournament committee will operate on channel 74. Channel 68 will be used as an alternate. All discussions among competitors should be conducted on alternate channels.
- Boundaries: The Eastern boundary is 79.35. Boats may fish as far north or south as they wish, so long as they return to the inlet by the time specified in rule #16.
- Check-Out: Lines in at 7:00 a.m. Each boat must check in by texting Mike Lambrechts at 954-830-0133 before leaving the inlet. You will receive a confirmation text back. If you do not receive a confirmation text back, you will be disqualified.
- Inspection: Tournament officials reserve the right to inspect any boat participating in the tournament prior to the start of fishing. Any boat that refuses inspection will be automatically disqualified from the tournament.
- Landfall: Following check-out, or once fishing hours have begun, no boats will be permitted to touch land until reaching the docks at the I.T Parker Center for weigh-in. Special consideration will be given for medical conditions and special circumstances that may arise during the day of fishing. The committee must be notified in advance of any situation that may warrant exception to this rule.
- Weigh-In: There is no specified lines-out time. All boats with fish to weigh must be visually checked in by displaying their boat number to the tournament committee on the docks at the weight station at I.T. Parker Center, regardless of hook-ups. Boats that do not check in by 3 PM will not be eligible to weigh their fish. The weigh station is located at the I.T. Parker Center. All fish must be brought to the weigh station in the boat that they were caught. Transferring of fish to another boat will result in disqualification. All decisions of the Weight Master are final.
- Weather: In the event that weather conditions arise deemed unsafe for the average registered boat, by the tournament officials, the tournament may be delayed until better conditions prevail. In the event of cancellation boat entry refunds will be made (less tournament expenses) within 30 days. Any notice of cancellation will be broadcast on channel 74 and on the John Michael Baker Fishing Tournament Facebook page. All other tournament activities will continue as planned at IT Parker Community Center. It is expressly understood that the permitting of fishing by tournament officials does not ensure the safety of registered anglers or any other occupants of their vessels. Captains, anglers and all other members of registered boats must determine in their own judgment whether to fish under the given conditions based on factors including but not limited to the seaworthiness of their boat and their own seamanship.
- Protests: All protests must be made within 4 hours of the conclusion of fishing along with $500 cash or check to the tournament officials. Protests should be made based on first hand eyewitness information. All decisions of the tournament officials regarding protests are final and subject to polygrpah.
- Polygraph: By entering the tournament all captains, anglers and occupants of their boats voluntarily consent to submit to a polygraph examination as deemed necessary by tournament officials. All decisions of the polygraph examiner will be final. Any captain, angler or occupant of a registered boat who refuses to take a polygraph or provides untruthful answers as determined by the examiner will be disqualified from the tournament without further notice. Such a disqualification will eliminate payment or provision of any prize money, awards and/or refund of entrance fees.
- Release: By registering for the tournament, all captains, anglers and occupants of their boat hereby consent that tournament officials may use without payment or restriction, any photographs, video or interviews in which he or she may appear for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to resale, advertising and promotional material.
- Tournament Discretion: The Tournament Director reserves the right to implement his or her discretion at any time during the tournament as it may apply to the rules or any other circumstance that should arise during the course of the event.
- Hold Harmless: It is expressly understood that all registered participants and non-registered occupants of their boats enter into the John Michael Baker Fishing Tournament voluntarily and at their own risk. Further, each registered and non-registered participant on behalf of other family members and/or executors agrees to release and hold harmless the John Michael Baker Fishing Tournament, the John Michael Baker Scholarship Fund, tournament officials, sponsors and all other persons connected directly or indirectly with operation of said tournament from any liability for libel, slander, loss, damage, negligence, harm, injury, or death suffered by any participant, entrant, sport fishermen, their companions, boat captains, mates, crew members, vessels and equipment which may occur during the tournament.